We often come across servers in our daily dealings with websites, databases, & shared files. we will explain to you what a server is, how a server works and what types there are. If you are looking for a definition of servers, you will find twice what you are looking for. First, when it comes to hardware, a server is a computer that makes resources available over a network. The hardware-based server is also referred to as a host in everyday use. In principle, any computer is suitable for this.
On the other hand, there is the software-based server. This is the program that runs on the computer. This server offers an exceptional service that clients use locally or via a network.
How Does A Server Work?
A server works according to the client-server model. With this model, tasks can be distributed to different computers and thus accessible to different customers entirely independently of each other.
The software-based servers are always on standby so that all services are always available. This ensures that clients, such as browsers or email programs, can actively access the server and use the service at any time.
What Is A Server Suitable For?
In practice, there are many different ways to use a server. In the following, we show you typical examples of what a server is suitable for:
- Provision (hosting) of websites
- Management of computers in companies
- database sharing
- Sharing email inboxes
- Provision of downloads
What Servers Are There?
There is not only one kind but different servers. We will introduce you to the individual types below.
- Web Server: The web server is one of the most well-known types. A web server provides websites and their databases. The provision of a website and the database is also known as hosting in practice, and providers who host your website are referred to as hosters.
- Mail Server: The mail server, which consists of many software modules, enables emails to be received, sent and forwarded. Usually, the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is used. If users want to access a mail server, they need an email client. As a result, messages are fetched from the server and made available in the email inbox.
- File Server: A file server makes shared files available in companies or private. Therefore, it is used for the central storage of files to allow different clients to access them via a network. Companies, in particular, rely on file servers so that different employees and departments have access to duplicate files.
- Game Server: A game server was specially developed for managing data in online multiplayer games. This allows players to participate in a game online at the same time. The hardware-based server is usually located in the provider’s data centre.
- Proxy Server: A proxy server is an intermediary in a network that accepts requests and forwards them on their behalf. With a proxy server, communication between a local client and a web server can be secured or accelerated.
What Does It Mean If I Rent A Virtual Server?
A virtual server is a virtual machine created by special software on a hardware-based server and then behaves like a physical server. This means that a virtual server also makes resources such as hard disks or main memory available. Several virtual servers find a place on a physical server.
Virtual servers also save on maintenance, cooling and electricity costs. For this reason, companies with large data centres and many resources use virtual servers in particular. One of the advantages of a virtual server is that it acts separately from the rest of the system and thus protects against manipulation.
How Much Does A Server Cost?
How much a server cost depends on the intended use and the server type. But if you want to run a server yourself at home, for example, you have to reckon with costs of around 300 to 400 euros.
If you don’t want to run your server, you can also rent one. There are different offers from many providers to choose from, with which you usually pay a monthly fee. Depending on the range of functions, the RAM and the desired performance, you pay different amounts. For example, if you want to host your website on a provider’s server, it usually only costs a few euros per month.
Conclusion: Use Servers For Different Purposes
Users can choose from different types of servers, which they can use depending on the purpose. For example, if you are looking for a server to operate your website, renting a server for low monthly costs makes sense.
ALSO READ: Affiliate Marketing Will Also Be One Of The Growth Drivers In 2022